Our philosophy is to support those with the rarest diseases that are ineligible to get support from other sources.
We we will not always be in a position to support all individuals, family and community needs in the area of rare diseases.
- Please complete all sections in the application - partial or incomplete forms cannot be accepted.
- Section 3: Funding Requirements - please provide details outlining what the funding being requested is for and what it will achieve.
- All invoices or quotes must come directly from the supplier of the product and be valid at the time of the application for a minimum of 3-6 months.
- A carefully considered and costed funding request is required. Should your application be successful, any additional or extra costs that have not been included or considered may not be covered by the Foundation and will be at your own expense.
CRITERIA FOR FUNDING
- The Steve Waugh Foundation (‘the Foundation’) will support children and young adults aged 0-25 years who have a rare disease with a prevalence of at least 2:100,000.
- You must be an Australian Citizen or an Australian permanent resident of at least 5 years to gain assistance from the Foundation, and:
- Have a recognised rare disease as identified on ORPHANET: www.orpha.net
- Have an Australian Medicare Card
- Have already made an application for Government funding assistance for the requested item, either State or Federal. eg NDIS
- The rare disease has been formally and officially diagnosed by a Paediatrician and/or Geneticist.
- You have and can provide evidence of the diagnosis of the rare disease signed off by a Paediatrician or Geneticist.
- You have and can provide medical, health and other documentation or support material required as part of this applicatiion.
- A Medical Specialist is any doctor who is not a GP, i.e., a doctor who has qualified in a specialty after completing their MBBS. Allied health professionals, i.e., social workers, physiotherapists, psychologists, etc, are not Medical Specialists.
WHAT THE FOUNDATION WILL FUND
The Foundation will consider funding:
- Some, but not all, minor house renovations or items that improve the quality of life for the applicant and their family.
In line with our philosophy to fund items that are ineligible to be funded from other sources, you must identify:
- Other eligible sources of funding for your request
- If you have previously received support from other charitable organisations or
- Received support from the Steve Waugh Foundation in the past
WHAT THE FOUNDATION DOES NOT FUND
The Foundation does not provide financial assistance for, and is not limited to:
- the purchase of new or used vehicles
- vehicle modifications
- major house modifications
- respite care (for individual grants)
- rent, mortgage payments and household utility expenses,
- competitions ie sport/paralympics
- conferences, workshops and meetings
- international and national travel
- research and clinical trials