Our philosophy is to support those with the rarest diseases in Australia, especially that are ineligible for support from other sources.
We will not always be in a position to support all individuals, family and community needs.
- Please complete all sections in the online Application - partial or incomplete forms cannot be accepted.
- Section 3: Funding Requirements - please provide details outlining what the funding being requested is for and what it is expected to achieve.
- All invoices or quotes must come directly from the supplier of the product and be valid at the time of the Application for a minimum of up to 6 months.
- Should your Application be successful, any additional costs that have not been included or considered can not be covered by the Foundation.
CRITERIA FOR FUNDING
- The Steve Waugh Foundation (‘the Foundation’) will support children and young adults aged 0-25 years who have a rare disease with a prevalence of at least 2:100,000.
- You must be an Australian Citizen or an Australian permanent resident of at least 5 years to gain assistance from the Foundation;
- Have a recognised rare disease as identified on ORPHANET: www.orpha.net
- Have an Australian Medicare Card
- Have already made an application for Government funding assistance for the requested item, either State or Federal. e.g the NDIS
- The rare disease has been formally and officially diagnosed by a Paediatrician and/or a Geneticist.
- You have and can provide evidence of the diagnosis of the rare disease signed off by a Paediatrician or Geneticist.
- You have and can provide medical, health and other documentation or support material required as part of this Application.
- A Medical Specialist is any doctor, not a general practitioner (GP), who has qualified in a specialty after completing their studies, e.g MBBS. Allied health professionals, i.e., social workers, physiotherapists, psychologists, etc, are not Medical Specialists.
WHAT THE FOUNDATION WILL FUND
The Foundation will consider funding:
- Some, but not all, minor house renovations or items that improve the quality of life for the applicant and their family
In line with our philosophy to fund items that are ineligible to be funded from other sources, you must identify:
- Other eligible sources of funding you have tried
- If you have previously received support from other charitable organisations or
- Received support from the Steve Waugh Foundation in the past
WHAT THE FOUNDATION DOES NOT FUND
The Foundation is not currently able to provide financial assistance for, and is not limited to:
- Purchase of new or used vehicles or their modification
- Major house modifications
- Rent, mortgage payments, household utility expenses, general living expense
- Conferences, workshops, meetings
- Travel - both local and international
- Research and clinical trials